Builders Exchange of Kentucky is celebrating 90 years of continuous operations and service to the construction industry. It was in the spring of 1927 that a group of approximately twenty subcontractors held a dinner meeting at the Mayflower. Those present at that meeting decided to form an organization of specialty contractors in the Louisville area. The original headquarters of the Exchange was in the old Board of Trade Building at Third and Main. It was not an easy task for the organization to survive the first year. Money ran out before the first Newsletter could be published. Special assessments and revenues generated from associate members were needed to keep the Exchange functioning. The original plan room had one table and was no larger than a good size closet.
Today, 90 years later, the Exchange is a full service construction trade association with excellent services, programs and two fully staffed plan room facilities in Louisville and Lexington. The Exchange membership is made up of around 900 contractors, material dealers and suppliers, manufacturer representatives, professionals, insurance and bonding companies and others.